Sunday, July 13, 2008

Faulty Judgement

My husband asked me to write on this topic. As honor to him on our 43rd anniversary, I thought I'd gift him a spot on the blog.

Well dear, Happy Anniversary. I know you always thought I'd be there for you. Thick and thin. Lose or win. How about those Cubs. You have been a fan since before your birth. And I know we met when I was just 16. And I know I told you a huge huge lie...That I was an avid sports fan. On two counts I was misleading. one was avid....and the other sports fan. Before I met you, how could I have known that I would have fallen for you and your adorable freckles. How could I have known that when you told me you were chaplain of your fraternity, and how much you liked kids, that you would have swept me off my feet. So how could I have told you anything but what you wanted to hear...!RAH!

Well , we're both from Chicago. I'll give you that. The Chicago Bulls, where we both went to school with Chet Walker..I loved the pop corn! We cheered!!!!!!

And how about that cold winter day when I went with you to the Bear Game....I froze my hiny off. Did I complain????No!

But those Cubs you cherish so!!!OOPs. I went there in the days with Jack Brickhouse. I must say that as a person who is prone to sleep on the spot, Brickhouse was able to induce it quite readily. So that high flying ball that was never going to get those cubs the pennant...put me into dreamland.


Now this is not all fair. I promised I would honor, cherish, and take care of you in sickness and in health. So let us pray, that the CUBS come out of their funk of 100 years, and that the bond that you and your grandfather had as part of the Wrigley Field Connection..pushes a century ahead and brings the generation for our 2 granddaughters a cheery..cheer. I watch you and our little girl sitting on your lap, with the Cubs hat on backwards, and her fondness for the Cub Song..and I think I am the luckiest woman in the world to see you both nurturuing what America is about...Freedom and Pride.

You are teaching what you taught our children growing up, about spirit. It's not who wins or loses. It's about the game. You are loyal, my dear. And you are so teaching that to the next genteration to come. I learn so much from you. Happy anniversary. And Go Cubs Go.

3 comments:

Normal Blogger said...

And here I thought you were oblivious to sports. Blogging really does reveal the inner self.

pks said...

I thought all Northside Chicagoans were automatically Cubs fans. My dad loved sitting in the bleachers with a hankie tied in a little knot in each of the corners to protect his bald head.

Happy anniversary and many, many more. You two make a great team!

pks

Unknown said...

This, of course, is my favorite blog of all time!! Even the little one sings "The Cubs are going to win today" Hopefully, she will experience more success with them in her lifetime than I have in mine!!