Thursday, July 24, 2008

WHAT TIME IS IT?

My reputation is important to me. I'd like to think I would stake my life on it. I put faith in others who have similar values.So when someone hears my name, it is my hope that they would have a smile on their face.

Well, perhaps they do. But not for the reasons I was hoping throughout the years.

Somehow, my name became synonymous with "late,tardy,time challenged". When I finally do reach the destination, I fancy disappearing before those familiar frosted looks appear. Now I am obligated to justify and explain why I was not on time. I don't. I feel sapped, like an untrained marathon runner.

Being a Granny-mom should give some leeway for empathy on the subject of tardy. I am awarded some ,but not much , permission to deviate off course.

Oops, I am telling tooooo much, but I hope not too late.

So I thought I'd get my wisdom from my four year old who is pressing hard for me to be on time today. Despite her effort to boss me around this morning, her demands run fast and furious, requesting the menu in order of juice, egg, potty, and one more reminder "Let's not to be late, Nana. The teacher don't like it."

Now when you hear that from a four year old, it gets your attention. It's a reminder that she's paying attention to what's important.

I toy with the idea, of tidying house just a bit before I leave. And then I hear the yelp."Nana,the dog has to go out too!"

O.K I got up before dawn in order to be reasonably on time. I had personal things which had to be done, none of which I can mention in writing. That takes time. Then the breakfast making, and unfashionable fashion dressing.

And now I grab my tot , we hug, and she's smiling. It's a good start, and we're off. In the car,buckled up, I am that is. I turn around and realize the the wee one has not been secured. Out I go, readjust. Take a breath. Because now I am exhausted. ready for bed. School is at nine, and it is 8:45. I take the usual route, reach the freeway, about five minutes away. And I hurriedly make a legal U turn, after noticing the Cinderella lunch was missing.

Our tot is wide awake, and her eyes are fixated on the abrupt change. She notices the frantic turn and says , "Nana, don't go back. We'll be late." I'm stumped, no lunch or be on time. Lunch wins.

Personally, I'm proud of this four year old who is figuring out what I had a lifetime of learning. Looking at these little ones, studying them, listening to them, even through the tantrums, can be prophetic.

Being on time models an important value for the toddlers for the rest of their life.


But nothing can produce a smile quicker than when you arrive at your destination, on time. In order to bring about good character, it's important to learn how to grow .The fact that one has a lifetime of bad habits, doesn't mean transformation is overruled.


Punctuality is an honor to others in your presence.
To be on time means that one must make time , and then take time.


Take time to listen to the breath of a child
Take time to listen to the thoughts and wisdom of the elderly.
Take time to hear your heart beat.
Making time for the ones you love is of the essence .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am taking time to tell you that not only do I love you but I love your posts.
love Dee

Anonymous said...

Grandparenting definitely matters.
You're doing a great job, and learning all the valuable lessons over again!
Love,
Barb & Larry