Sunday, July 6, 2008

night crawlers

Not surprising, as a city slicker, we didn't have many of those night crawlers. Growing up in what we believed as Chicago's top neighborhood, West Rogers Park, our families were protected against most critters. That didn't stop my mother from shivering in her boots when she even thought about a spider, or an ant. The possibilities of how she could manage to capture the little things, gave a whole dimension to the word, "rumination." By god, those critters. couldn't even reach the first step of our 17 stair walk up two flights, where our humble abode was. None the less, it kept mother, busy taking care of her clan. Keeping the apartment critter clean, was amusing at best.

Summers in the fifties with our families were spent diametrically opposed to the the fine city of Chicago. Our cultural experiences changed from West Side Story to Home Home on the Range. Culture was spent at the Busy Bee diner over a Creek with a few surly fellows who gave my father another reason to tell a story . Buffalo Wyoming, was the main summer spot where we drove without the air conditioning, and my father's arm flying out the window. We spent the week anticipating our reunion with my fathers' brothers and sisters who had many critter stories.


My father, generally the tardy person in the family, causing my mother to do unusual contortions to her face as well as raising her normally quiescent voice, to a shrill, and hiccup.
None the less, when my father was on a mission to head for Buffalo, we left at the early rise of 3 AM, packed eggs, toilet paper, and a bowl.Not for the eggs. That was so we didn't take time to take bathroom stops.


So there was a pot in the back seat, just in case. "We have to drive clear through ."

My uncle was proud of the variety of places we could stay. Our family owned the main motel in town,,,,,no...we didn't stay there.

My uncle invited us to stay above his own theater. And that's where the critters be busy. So mom is taking a bath, I am surveying the apartment. Generally I have a plan to stay at my friends home for the summer. But mother says that being close to our family is best, because "we're critter clean."

Amusing, in one second, out from behind the door, my mother has one of those bursts of throaty words..all mispronounced...and then a naked leap from the tub...down into the movie theater....There is a mouse....

"Mother,Mother, you don't have clothes on. "

Although it was Mickey Mouse that was on the next hit parade, my mother's embarrassment led her kids to remind her of this highlight in our lives.

If I didn't have that memory, I wouldn't have thought about last night, as our granddaughter, tucked in her bed at 7:30 PM. Unusual that she was pooped and acquiesced to have one story and fall sound asleep. We had to read the Three Bears, swat a few flies, and settle on petting a grasshopper. I had to hold the critter in my hand to illuminate the many legs. She giggled.

It was good to have an early head start to go to bed with my husband. Too many early nights are lost to "just one more story, Nana.Lay down with me, please, Nana, poppa."

3:AM with a roar and a snore, my honey moves closer to me. I think I''m going to get a little luckier than a pat on the fanny, when the night crawler enters. "Nana, Poppa, hug me. I'm having a dream."
" Is it a bad one?
" No , it's a dream."
" Is it scary?".
" Yes."
"Why?"
" You're in it!................ And the big bad mouse."

No comments: